Some peace while putting the pieces together

I am creating this at the new coffee shop in town. The owner and I just talked about a concept we're calling a "bright ripple". The bright ripple starts with one, builds to two, and keeps growing. It's positive action growing exponentially until it creates a tsunami of bright beauty and chases off the dark. Everyone get your boards and surf the ripple!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reclaiming Your Internal Environment- Part 5- New Habits to Build into Healthier Living

Remember when I said I think of us as bouncing blobs of water? Of course, we are much more. We are body and mind but also spirit. So, in considering new habits to maintain and boost health, let's consider each of the three pieces which make us who we are.

Body- The body is a complex machine. It really is amazing when you ponder all it does constantly to keep us bouncing along. Key considerations in habit building (or you could say discipline) are: exercise, food intake, water intake, air intake and other. For exercise consider both internal and external exercise. Western approaches to exercise often focus on muscle building without consideration for all of the other systems the body benefits from proper functioning of including but not limited to the circulatory, respiratory, and endocrine systems. Given all my recent health challenges, I believe the endocrine system is hit especially hard by the toxicity issues related to Morgellons. I vary my exercise though I make walking an hour each day a minimal approach. I like to jog, swim (though I'm not so good at it), climbing (when I can), hiking, yoga, and now...have a growing interest in internal exercise as understood in association with Chinese health practices. We each have our likes and dislikes, but I would highly recommend something to work out your insides (yoga, tai chi, Chinese internal exercise, etc) and something to work out more externally. Find what works for you and fit it into your schedule.

Mind- It is kinda teacher-ese to be saying I think working out the mind is a necessary part of every day...but it is what I believe. For myself my minimal approach for some time has been one hour of writing and one hour of reading (though my writing sometimes expands greatly). I also enjoy tinkering such as building or renovation projects (I've been playing with the idea of getting into tree house building...but at present have no tree to build upon). I am a tactile learner and really enjoy learning combined with hand work. Again, it comes down to what works for you. Figure it out and do it!

Spirit- Sometimes we need to be reminded, a balanced and wholesome approach to your spirituality assist the body and mind as well. When I finally have a home again (which I am hoping happens sooner than later...the backpack life is getting old), I plan to invest in one of those fancy, heavy serious meditation pillows (you know what I'm talking about...they weigh a ton, are usually round and are comfortable to sit on). I want to build meditation along with prayer into my daily schedule. As a Quaker, I enjoy having weekly access to a Meeting and hope for this wherever I next land employment. Your own spiritual/religious life should be built upon those things which feed your soul and lend themselves to building yourself in spirit.

Building habits and discipline into your life will assist in recovery. Think body, mind and spirit. Think what you enjoy and what works for you. Think wellness and balance and all things good. Happy healing, Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment