Some peace while putting the pieces together

I am creating this at the new coffee shop in town. The owner and I just talked about a concept we're calling a "bright ripple". The bright ripple starts with one, builds to two, and keeps growing. It's positive action growing exponentially until it creates a tsunami of bright beauty and chases off the dark. Everyone get your boards and surf the ripple!

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Reclaiming Your Internal Environment- Part 3- Your Home

I have several entries already related to this post. I spent a large part of last school year on a sub list, as I cleaned out toxins from my house in Wellsboro, PA (a pre and post article appears in the archives of Natural Home magazine- go to http://www.naturalhomeandgarden.com/ and search for "Pennsylvania Pick Me Up"). Assuming you have taken care of removing/ managing toxins in your home, I recommend several other steps in making your home effective in assisting in reclaiming your internal environment; these include utilizing feng shui, creating a sacred space and making detox related tools accessible without being overwhelming. While I am not currently living in my home (in fact I have been living out of my backpack for almost 6 months now), I will share what I learned living in my home last year.

I've had some ongoing interest in feng shui. While I don't believe in all aspects of it, I do think the general philosophy of creating a space of health and good energy makes sense. Simple things like room color make a difference. Getting rid of clutter is a "no brainer". I feel best in a clean, crisp, comfortable atmosphere (you'll get a sense if you look at my home in the NHM articles). Take care of these matters and keep your space healthy. It'll help.

I think a sacred space for prayer and meditation is helpful. I have a labyrinth in my backyard to walk through and quiet my mind (it is found in one of my early entries). I also consider my hammock essential; it is where I go when I need to relax my body and mind. Sacred space is a personal creation based on beliefs, needs and desires. Create what works for you. It can be as simple as a seat or pillow in the corner or as elaborate as your own backyard church. Create what you can and keep it sacred. God knows you need this space!

Some of my tools for recovery include: hand massager, yoga equipment, jogging gear, climbing gear, and a sauna. I try to keep materials handy without getting in the way (although the sauna does take up part of the dining room). Keep it accessible, neat and logical- everything has a proper place.

Your home should be a calm setting. I realize this may be easier said than done. Understanding the framework you are living in and working with it will make a difference. Good luck, Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment