Some peace while putting the pieces together

I am creating this at the new coffee shop in town. The owner and I just talked about a concept we're calling a "bright ripple". The bright ripple starts with one, builds to two, and keeps growing. It's positive action growing exponentially until it creates a tsunami of bright beauty and chases off the dark. Everyone get your boards and surf the ripple!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Brain Work Out

The brain is pretty complicated. Those who claim expertise in brain studies seem to be realigning and uncovering new understanding all the time. For myself, as a teacher, scholar, and having recovered from symptoms I believe are entirely connected to neurotoxicity, brain work is essential. When I'm not writing, reading, talking or listening, I like to try to exercise my brain in different ways. I don't entirely understand the brain, but I do know it feels right to "work it out".

We each have our likes and dislikes. I think it is helpful in several ways to try to get the gray matter up and running daily. Certainly some studies indicate it keeps us sharp and less likely to end up with dementia and such. For myself, it has also been an indicator of problems...deep problems likely related to my endocrine system.

Recently, I visited a local dollar store and got a puzzle book to challenge myself (I like sudoko but am less fond of crossword puzzles). Whatever I pencil through, I feel it's good for me. Of course, there's endless online possibilities. I also like to play cards, but have a hard time finding cribbage lovers (my favorite game). Another possibility is to take some courses at a local college or purchase coursework (as I did last spring through The Great Courses (a company which sells lecture series...I'm not much of one for lectures...but it works sometimes)).

You know your own likes and dislikes...whatever gets your brain buzzing and moving is worth doing. My suggestion is- Just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment