Some peace while putting the pieces together

I am creating this at the new coffee shop in town. The owner and I just talked about a concept we're calling a "bright ripple". The bright ripple starts with one, builds to two, and keeps growing. It's positive action growing exponentially until it creates a tsunami of bright beauty and chases off the dark. Everyone get your boards and surf the ripple!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Comparing Tribes: HIV/AIDS and Morgellons Part 1

If you follow my blog, then you know I've spent much of this school year in Africa and returned to the US after becoming ill. I've struggled through some bad symptoms which seem to come in waves.

Two weeks ago I remembered an incident which took place in Arusha, Tanzania. I had purchased a hair trimmer from a street vendor and, after finding it didn't work, went back to get my money returned. I got angry and started shouting at the man and, as seems to be common in Africa, a crowd circled around. One of the men told me he would get me to a barber (though it sounds strange, I believe he had "bewitched" or hypnotized me. I cannot remember has face...only his hand gestures and voice). I ended up at the local market which is as dirty a setting as you can imagine. Knowing one in six is estimated as infected with HIV in Tanzania (which is actually lower than much of Africa), I would never have freely chosen to go to such a setting where blood could easily be transferred.

Anyhow, the memory of this incident flooded my mind as my health recently worsened and had symptoms characteristic of HIV. Once again, I felt I would have to confront a condition considered incurable. I set up a date to get tested and assumed the worst. I won't leave you hanging. I was tested yesterday and, thank God, I do not have HIV!

One of the HIV/Aids online support groups uses "Welcome to the Tribe" as their motto. I like the idea of a tribe. It is a comfort to those suffering, I am certain. A Morgellons tribe needs to form. In my next entry, I plan to compare the tribes; I think we could learn much from understanding each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment